Annex-M is a specification for DSL that will allow faster upload speeds (about 20% faster), at the expense of reduced download speed. For our PHLO or PHLO+ customers using VOIP or video conferencing, the improved upload speed can make a significant difference. If you are a PHLO+ customer, you can toggle Annex-M using the PHLO Dashboard. You can also contact our technical support dept. and we can do this for you.
You will also need to make sure your DSL modem or router has Annex-M enabled. Here is how to do this:
If you are using a ZTE 831 ADSL2 modem:
- Attach your computer directly to the DSL modem using an Ethernet cable (i.e. bypass a router if you have one)
- Open your network settings, and set your IP address manually to 192.168.1.10. Set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway (router) address to 192.168.1.1
- Open your web browser, and enter this in the address bar: http://192.168.1.1
- You should get a login prompt. The user name is “admin” and the password is “admin”
- Click the Advanced icon at the top
- Click WAN on the left, then ADSL below it.
- Check the box for Annex-M, then click Apply.
If you are using a SmartRG DSL Router:
- Open your web browser, and enter this URL in the address bar: http://192.168.1.1/admin
- You should get a login prompt. The user name is “admin” and the password is “admin” (assuming you have not changed this)
- In the green menu bar of the left, click “Advanced Setup” and “DSL” under that.
- Under DSL Setting, click the check box for “AnnexM Enabled”
- Click the Apply/Save button below.